Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries officially began in February of 1997. The name “Strictly Biblical” was actually the name of a Christian radio show hosted by Pastor Emery Moss, Jr., when he was an associate pastor at “Evangel Ministries,” under the leadership of Pastor George Bogel. The church held its first service at the Plaza Hotel, then later at the Ramada Inn in Southfield, Michigan. In less than nine months, Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries moved into our first church building, located at 6811 Calhoun in Dearborn, Michigan. As you can see by God’s grace, Strictly Biblical has been growing and moving swiftly. At out Dearborn location, it was estimated that we were gaining four people per Sunday. A lot of “notable” historical first have happened at Strictly Biblical of which only a few can be mentioned:
The Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries street witnessing team, now known as “C.H.A.M.P.S., Christian Have A Mission To Preach Salvation, under the leadership of Julia Harris formerly known as Julia McGhee.
1. Strictly Biblical held its first Baptismal service on July 6, 1997, at the Ramada Hotel poolside; not only was the church present, but many people at the hotel complex were in attendance.
2. The first Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries (S.B.B.T.M.) Vacation Bible School was under the leadership of Kenneth Bartell and Aneita Campbell, held on August 11th through 14th in 1998; it was a lot of fun!
3. The Strictly Biblical Mass Choir began in January of 1998, under the leadership of Ovella Davis, who was our Minister of Music until 2007. She worked with church choirs for over 20 years. A perfectionist at heart, Sister Davis’ motto for the choir is “proper practice produces perfect performance.”
4. Our First Annual Women’s Prayer Breakfast was held in May of 1998, followed by our Men’s Prayer Breakfast, which met in June of 1998 – it’s just like the men to follow the women!
5. The Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries street witnessing team, now known as “C.H.A.M.P.S., Christian Have A Mission To Preach Salvation, under the leadership of Julia Harris formerly known as Julia McGhee. C.H.A.M.P.S. first took to the streets of Detroit at the Belmont Shopping Center on East Eight Mile Road in 1998; and, are in full force today.
6. On August 31st, 1997, Strictly Biblical Bible Teaching Ministries has its’ First Annual Picnic at Sheppard Park, located in Oak Park, Michigan. It was at this event that Pastor Emery Moss, Jr., discovered that Strictly Biblical people can really eat.
As we celebrate over ten years of being together, there are so many memorable moments to look back upon, but also there is much that lies ahead. Many changes have taken place over the years; but, our God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Let this be a celebration of Thanksgiving for all the fine work that God continues to do through Strictly Biblical.